FLORENCE COUNTY LIBRARY SYSTEM MEETING ROOM POLICY
Revised and Adopted by the Florence County Library Board of Trustees
February 1, 2016
The Florence County Library System welcomes public use of meeting rooms by community groups and organizations whose aims are educational, civic, charitable or cultural. Library-related programs have priority over other meetings held in the Library facilities. The use of meeting rooms of the Florence County Library System does not imply endorsement of the purpose or activities of a group or organization. Exceptions to these policies may be permitted with the approval of the Library Director. The Library Director may delegate authority to approve meeting room applications to the Chief of Headquarters or Branch Managers.
- General Guidelines
- The meeting room may be used by Library staff for sponsored programs and activities; by Friends of the Library; by civic groups and organizations; and by educational and cultural groups.
Any group or organization using a meeting room should include at least ten (10) or more individuals.
A deposit of $100.00 will be required. See “Fees” section.
Meeting rooms are intended for use by nonprofit, service, and community groups and organizations.
Reservations are public information and meetings may be publicly posted at the Library.
All meetings and use of library grounds must coincide with normal operating hours of the library, unless prior permission has been approved by the Library Director.
Activities should not infringe upon patron use and staff operations within the Library. Meeting attendees must conform to the Library’s Code of Conduct. (See Code of Conduct link under Policies.)
The Library reserves the right to have a representative attend any meeting held in its facilities to ensure no unlawful activities or activities contrary to this policy are occurring.
Compliance with all applicable state and local laws must be met including fire codes, occupancy limitations and noise ordinances.
The applicant and sponsoring group/organization are responsible for safety and order. The individual signing the application form must be present at the meeting unless prior arrangements have been approved. The group members will not be allowed into the meeting room until the applicant is present.
- Supplies and Set-Up
- Requests for use of audio/visual equipment at the headquarters library must be made at least 72 hours in advance of the scheduled event. Availability of equipment and staff assistance cannot be guaranteed without adequate notice.
The users of the meeting rooms are responsible for their meeting materials including flip charts, paper, etc., as well as all kitchen supplies.Public copy machines are available; copies are $0.10/page.
Meeting room users are responsible for arranging tables and chairs for their particular meeting.
Light refreshments may be served in the meeting rooms. This may include coffee, tea, punch, cold drinks and finger foods such as sandwiches, cookies and nuts.
Meeting room users must take with them everything they bring to the meeting including food, supplies, materials, etc. The Library is not responsible for items left in its facilities. Storage space is not available. Meeting rooms must be left in a clean and orderly condition. Failure to do so may result in denial of future requests.
- Not Allowed
- Meeting rooms are not to be used as the primary site for any non-county or non-government entity.
No products or services may be advertised, solicited or sold. However, at the discretion of the Library Director, the following are permissible:
- Fund raisers to benefit the Library, sponsored by the Friends of the Library or other Library-related groups;
- The sale of books, cassettes and other items by authors or artists as part of a Library program.
Library meeting rooms may not be used for the following:
- Political rallies or campaigns for specific candidates or specific partisan political issues;
- Showers, wedding receptions, birthday parties, sorority and fraternity parties, and similar social events.
Neither the name nor the address of the Library may be used as the official address or headquarters of an organization. Publicity may not include the Library’s phone number.
No sign, decoration, nor any other object may be affixed to any wall, window, column, door, screen, window shade, ceiling, cabinet or any other surface in the room or anywhere else in the building unless expressly approved by the Library Director.
No candles or other incendiary materials may be used.
No electrical appliances except coffee pots may be used in the meeting rooms and/or kitchen facilities.
Food and/or beverages may not be taken from meeting rooms to other parts of the Library.
No alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs are permitted on the Library grounds or in Library facilities; neither is smoking permitted.
Library staff does not provide clerical assistance for meetings held in the meeting rooms.
- Neither the Library nor the user/borrower may charge rentals or fees for use of the Library facilities.
Charges such as registration or materials fees for a workshop or membership dues to an organization using the Library facilities are not considered rental fees.
A deposit of $100.00 will be required upon arrival for groups using a meeting room. This deposit will be refunded if the meeting room is left in a clean and orderly condition. The deposit may be made in cash or by check (made payable to the Florence County Library). The Library cannot accept credit or debit cards. This deposit may be waived at the discretion of the Library Director.
- Reservation Procedures
- Applicants must submit a completed Meeting Room Application Form. Individuals making the application must be at least eighteen years of age and county residents. Exceptions to the residency requirement may be granted if the event provides a public benefit for Florence County and/or its residents.
The application form must be approved by the Library Director or the Chief of Headquarters Library.An organization or group can make up to three reservations at a time.
Meeting room reservations should be made one month in advance. Reservations for the Florence location can be made by calling 843-413-7074 during regular Library hours. Reservations for the branches should be made by calling the desired location during regular operating hours.
Library-related programs are exempt from limits on frequency of use and advance time for reservations. Other exemptions may be made at the discretion of the Library Director.
Notice of cancellation should be made as soon as possible. Failure to provide notice of cancellation on two (2) occasions may result in loss of future meeting room use.
Groups/organizations may not assign their reservations to others.
- Denial of Meeting Room Use
- Upon adequate notice, the Library reserves the right to withdraw permission for the use of any meeting room.
At the discretion of the Library, a meeting room reservation may be canceled due to unanticipated building or weather conditions.
Permission to use Library meeting rooms may be denied to any individual, group or organization that fails to comply with the Meeting Room Policy and that damages the room, carpet, equipment, furniture, or causes a disturbance.
An individual, group or organization may appeal the denial of a meeting room reservation request by submitting a written statement to the Library Director within ten (10) days of notification of denial. The Library Director’s decision will be submitted in writing within ten (10) days of receipt of the reconsideration request to the Chair of the Library Board of Trustees. The appeal will be considered at the next regularly scheduled Board meeting. The decision of the Board of Trustees will be the final decision.
- Computer Classroom Corollary (only available at the Florence County headquarters location)
- Policies applicable to the meeting rooms also apply to the Computer Classroom with the following exceptions and additions:
- Food or drink of any kind in the Computer Classroom is prohibited.
- The Library does not provide kitchen facilities to groups using the Computer Classroom.
- Persons using the Computer Classroom may not change the furniture arrangement, modify the software on the PCs, or make any other equipment or facilities alterations without prior permission of the Library Information Technology staff or the Library Director.
- Persons using the Computer Classroom must enter and exit through the rear of the classroom adjacent to the Computer Services Desk. The front exit door of the classroom is for staff use only and is to be used by classroom users only in an emergency.
- Any technical assistance beyond basic must be coordinated with the Information Technology staff at least one week on advance. If users do not coordinate, the Library will not assume responsibility for failure of equipment to work properly.
- Study Room Corollary (only available at the Florence County headquarters and Lake City locations)
- Study Rooms are available to individuals or small groups of people on a walk-in basis; neither applications nor reservations are required.
Reservations may be made for use of a Study Room by contacting the appropriate location.
Multiple reservations for use of a Study Room may be allowed.
Food and beverages are prohibited in the Study Rooms.
Revised and Adopted by the Florence County Library Board of Trustees
February 1, 2016